There is so much confusion about OneDrive for Business - what it is and what it can actually do.
The good news is that in its latest incarnation the things it is designed to do are finally working!
The bad news is that many people misunderstand it and ends up in a dead end missing key functionality!
The other news is that it is the users tool - all features it has are 100% driven and managed by the user.
OneDrive for Business. Top 3 - this is what it is:
- The user's personal SharePoint storage for the users own personal files. It has an option to sync a copy of the files to the users own PC and other mobile devices.
- The user’s tool to initiate sharing of personal files with other people. The file sharing feature has support for co-authoring of Office files.
- The user's tool to have Document Libraries or folders manually located and selected synced to the users own PC. This is 100% managed and driven by the user.
There are minor details about OneDrive for Business not mentioned in the above.
All-In-All: OneDrive for Business is the user’s location for personal files stored in SharePoint. The user can manually decide to share files with other people. Furthermore, the user can manually locate and select other SharePoint Document Libraries or folders and have files synchronized to the users own PC and other mobile devices.
All actions like sharing and local syncing are driven and managed 100% by the user.
OneDrive for Business is part of SharePoint Online in Office 365 and SharePoint on-premesis 2013, 2016. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the other publicly available and free service offered by Microsoft called “OneDrive”.
- Technically, it is a private Site Collection dedicated for the user. The site has one Document Library called Documents. This was previously known as "My Site"
- When you access OneDrive for Business the URL does not show the Document Library in the URL unlike typical SharePoint URL's
- The URL is based on the organization and the user's login name.
- OneDrive for Business is part of SharePoint Online, 2013, 2016. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the other publicly available and free service offered by Microsoft called "OneDrive". The free service named "OneDrive" gives everyone free Cloud storage and sharing for files. This service is 100% independant of SharePoint.